Yesterday I told my boss that I was resigning my position. Although I’ve haven’t worked since we had our daughter 14 months ago I was technically still on maternity leave. Before the move to KSA came up I had been toying with the idea of returning to work for a day or two next year. It was a big deal talking to my boss and I was nervous making the phone call. This was the first time the move was about to affect something that was mine, not my husband or our family’s.
It’s amazing how my feelings toward work have changed since having our child. I used to be consumed with my job and lived teaching. Not having any family or friends in Western Australia meant that I feel head first into my new job when we moved here. I made such wonderful friends and relationships working at the school for five and a half years. Today I’ve been looking through photos reminiscing about school functions, Christmas Lunches, Murder Mystery Nights etc. They pull at the heart strings and they involved only a small component of the school environment...my colleagues.
The main reason I was considering returning to work for a few days was the kids. There is nothing like teaching. It really is a privilege. I look back now and really feel a great love for the rapport you build with kids when you are teaching them. The trust they have in you and the respect you have for them. Forget about reports, marking, setting up your classroom, professional development, checking uniforms/lunch boxes, assemblies, meetings, playground duty, classroom management, incursions, excursions and so much more. It’s about the time you get to spend with them; interacting, focusing on learning and sometimes seeing that light bulb moment. I realise now just how much I loved my job. Sometimes I really miss teaching...
But things move so quickly in schools. Staff turnover, policies, students...I know the school has changed and will keep changing. Although I can reflect on my job/occupation/profession/former life and feel that I do miss it I just love my life being a Mum. I wouldn’t swap it for anything.
Living in KSA will give me the opportunity to be a Mum at home for longer than I may have been able to do it in Australia and there is always the opportunity to teach while we are there too. However I don’t think anywhere will be like my Western Australian school. I’m proud I was part of it but life moves on and so must I.
No comments:
Post a Comment