Today was another 47 degree day. While I can’t get used to the heat it is something I’ve come to expect living here. Every day in May was at least high 30’s and since June it has been above 40. A couple of days ago the weather changed again, the humidity kicked in and it’s terrible! Walking outside, my sunglasses fog up and this afternoon our dining room windows had condensation on them. It’s like being in Thailand, except the temperature outside is hotter! Anyway, enough whinging about that! It is what it is and we knew coming here that it was to be expected.
We have been back in Saudi for three weeks after a couple weeks away. To be honest it seems much longer than three weeks. The heat is oppressive and we have to spend our days inside. There are air-conditioned squash courts in the compound that we visit, just to have some space for A to run around. I guess this way of life is normal for many people around the world who are limited by the heat or cold. After coming from home (Australia) where we are lucky enough to be outside much of the day, it is taking some getting used to.
Onto thoughts of home...
We moved to Saudi in January and although we have been home once in that time, I find I’m really missing some things in Australia. What do I miss?
· Milo - in a cold glass of milk or on vanilla ice cream.
· Vegemite – I’m still having it on my toast but my stash is dwindling and I can’t find it in the shops at the moment.
· Coola cordial – there don’t seem to be any cordials here, many syrups, but no cordials. The drinks are, of course, full of sugar.
· Footy – There are four games played each week and they always seem to consist of Hawthorn, Fremantle, Collingwood, Essendon etc. I guess the more high profile matches are broadcasted but no matter how terrible my team is going, seeing them play once for the whole season, is not enough.
· Netball – If the footy coverage is minimal then netball is non-existent. I can’t stream it and the only way is to read about it on twitter or using internet updates. Since the ANZ Championships began Itried to watch every game the Australian teams played. There are five Aussie teams so it meant I was usually watching 3 - 4 games. This weekend is the Grand Final and my team the Vixens are playing. I wish I could see it!
I realise this post is trivial and I acknowledge these are, as they say first world problems, but while I’m so far from home it’s pretty relevant to me.
Next week Ramadan begins and life changes again for a month. We are unable to eat and/or drink in public, during daylight hours and I believe many shops are closed during this time. Many of the expats who live in the compound have already left so it's a quiet place to be. The next month will be an interesting cultural and religious experience.
No comments:
Post a Comment