Nearly a week ago my daughter A and I went to the Supermarket to complete our daily shop. We have started to take the afternoon compound bus and then my husband meets us after work to pick us up. I could travel home on the compound bus but I find this easiest and husband is now used to being the taxi driver! That said there are other options to getting the weekly shop done...
· Get a private driver to take us.
· Jump on the ‘Farm’ supermarket bus that you can organise to pick and drop you off.
· Shop in the evening or on the weekend.
We prefer not to do the last as there are two 'Call to Prayer' after 5:30pm and trying to fit in a shop between the two can be difficult. You can continue to shop during prayer time at supermarkets; they don’t close like most shops do. However, combine lots of people shopping with a hungry, starting to get tired toddler, we have established the afternoon compound bus as the easiest and cheapest option.
We went to Tamimi Supermarket. I prefer it as it seems to have the best meat and fresh fruit and vegetable. Although it can be said that it does have a smaller selection of grocery items.
There are a few other supermarket options here.
Every second shopping centre has a Hyper Panda in it. It is a strange combination of an I.G.A and a Best and Less. Hyper Panda sells crockery, clothes, washing machines, toys, computer equipment, televisions, you name it! It also has a large selection of grocery items. I find there that more locals go to Hyper Panda. While it has some imported items the bulk of groceries are aimed at the Arabic and Asian clientele. I find Hyper Panda is good for basic items but their fruit, veg and meat can be hit and miss.
As I mentioned there is a bus that comes to the compound for the ‘Farm’ supermarket. I haven’t been to this chain yet.
Lulu’s Hypermarket is found all over the Middle East. In fact I saw a few in Muscat when we visited Oman. Where Hyper Panda is a supermarket and Big W combined, it could be said that Lulu’s is like a Target, Kmart or cheap Myer combined with one of the biggest supermarkets I have ever seen. Lulu’s has a department store on one floor and the supermarket on the other. It has everything you need and more. There are many imported items. Amongst British and American items there are many Australia brands. That said, at times I have seen Barbeque/Pizza Shapes, Tim Tams, Mint Slices, Paul’s yoghurt in each of the supermarkets. Lulu’s is the furthest from where we live and can be quite busy.
At each supermarket you are bound to find a spices/nuts/lollies counter. The Saudi’s love their sweet treats. The deli can be confronting with a goat and camel meat displayed with beef, lamb and chicken. Of course there is absolutely no pork sold. I have gotten used to beef breakfast meat in pasta’s etc.
Just a side note – I was surprised to see two or three packets of Christmas themed chocolate for sale. They had pictures of Christmas trees and Santa.
Anyway, back to the point of this blog! When we moved here and I tried to research what life is like for western expats in Saudi Arabia and I found some interesting content. I realise that where I live has a large population of expats but I as yet, fingers crossed, have not had a bad experience. In fact often women who are fully covered come up to A and I and comment on how lovely she is. To which we agree, yes....most of the time.
At the supermarket the male (of course!) Saudi Security guard helped me with the trolley, waved, smiled and spoke to A and I. Not only that when he spotted us later he came over to us and gave A a kiss on the cheek. This is not the first time someone has done this to her and at first it was surprising but now I realise it is part of the culture. While we were waiting to be picked up a Saudi women in an abaya (long sleeved black dress), hijab (head scarf) and niqab (face covering) came up and was talking and kissing A. She then disappeared only to come back with a small, cold water and a pack of M and M’s (which I enjoyed!). Giving children small presents is another part of the culture. When we were travelling back from Oman a lady on the plane gave A a small pack of crackers!
I think we are presented with an idea of what to expect in the Middle East but the generosity and kindness I have experienced puts some of the ideas on the internet and at home into perspective.
No comments:
Post a Comment