Saturday, May 25, 2013

May

It seems like every time I add to my poorly updated blog I make the comment that it’s been a long time since I last wrote. This time though, it really has! I started this entry in April and it’s now May so I will be trying to keep it short and get it posted!
Much has happened in the last 6 months...
December
Our first Christmas in Saudi. We bought a Christmas tree, decorations etc in Bahrain where there was plenty of Christmas items to buy. Saudi however had not so much. I had to laugh though at some of the lingerie stores that had Santa themed outfits for women!
My first Christmas not in Gol Gol saw us travel to Germany, Austria and the Czech Republic for two weeks.  We stayed in an awesome all inclusive ski resort in Austria for a week. Although I couldn’t ski I thoroughly enjoyed the trip. T was out skiing most mornings and afternoons but there was a pool, crèche, restaurant, cafe and of course plenty of snow to keep A and I occupied. T would return for lunch and in the late afternoon and we would head out and A would play on the sled. Christmas day was eventful as it began sometime in the early morning with A up with gastro. She spent the rest of the day pretty sick but started to come good the next day which was pretty eventful!
We had booked train tickets from the small village where we were staying to Munich. There was a group of us travelling together and I’m not exaggerating when I say we had at least 10 suit cases and even more bags between us! The train stopped at the station and the three men put the luggage on. Once we got on the train we realised that we had to get on at a specific carriage. We also didn’t realise that we had reserved seats. The boys spend the hour or so balancing the luggage in a doorway and we luckily found an empty seat. It was an interesting welcome to travelling on trains in Europe! Typically no one raised a glance to the three women (two pregnant) trying to walk down the train with 4 kids on a moving train.
We spent the next two nights in Munich and were thankful we had been there in August as there was not a lot of sightseeing to be had for T and I. We caught A’s gastro and for those who have seen Bridemaids and that scene in the Bridal store, you would have a good idea of how we spent those two days. I have a memory of A standing in the bathroom doorway at midnight with her teddy and blanket staring shocked at her Mum and Dad. Not good times! Too much information there! Sorry!
We headed to Prague and spent three days sightseeing. It is a beautiful city although it was a bit chilly while we were there!
January
We returned to Saudi and there we would remain until last weekend (23rd of May to be exact!) We couldn’t leave again as I had now reached the point of my pregnancy where I couldn’t fly. Not too much to report for January, it seems so long ago that I can’t really remember! We Aussies did get together for a fun Australia day cricket match and barbeque.
February
Now this was a busy month as it saw the arrival of our son R. He was born on the 26th of February. Although he was born in Saudi he is not able to be a citizen as his parents are not Saudis. That meant for a while he was ‘stateless’. Late last week (21st of May) we finally received all the paperwork to allow us to leave the country. It has taken quite a while but there was a period of 5 weeks where we didn’t get the process happening so that added to the delay.
He had to receive his birth certificate which is in Arabic. That had to be translated. We then had to get an Australia citizenship organised for him followed by a passport. T went to Bahrain to meet an embassy official rather than drive to Riyadh. After the passport he received his Iqama (Saudi residential permit) and then multi entry/exit visa.
One of the challenges in the process was getting a photo of a few week old baby which was passport quality. We certainly have more than enough photos of this type of his first few weeks. Another challenge was getting his correct name on his birth certificate. He has two middle names. However in Saudi there is not a space for any middle names on the birth certificate. This is because your middle name is automatically your father and grandfather’s name. T had to have a chat with the staff member at the hospital for us to get his name put on his birth certificate correctly. R’s passport is right now however his records at the hospital have him listed with 5 names and a surname. This is because he has the 3 we gave him as well as T’s first and second name (which I guess they think is his father’s name). All are spelt incorrectly in the hospital and R’s name is not known in Saudi. They have it listed as a close female Arabic version and get very confused when I introduce him as my son.
My hospital experience while different to my first with A was still good. There were a few funny (as much as there can be during birth and the aftermath!) moments)
·        Upon arrival at the hospital I walked toward a doorway (as much as you can while contracting strongly). I knew I didn’t have long until I would have to stop and enjoy another contraction so was determined to get through the door. I saw a Saudi man walking toward the door and admit I was concerned I would have to wait for him, standing there with my abaya billowing open and only shorts and a t shirt on underneath. This man was very kind and held the door, gestured for an attendant to get me a wheel chair and both he and his wife were saying ‘Mashallah’ which is a blessing. It’s been another moment I’ve been reminded of the inaccuracy of some preconceptions about the male role in Saudi.
·        By the time T had parked the car I was well and truly keen for an epidural. However, he had to leave the room and go and pay for it so that I could have it. Sure enough by the time he returned with the receipt, I was too far along for it and had to go without. We received a refund though!!!
·        R was born at 9:45pm and visiting hours ended at 10:00pm. About half an hour after he was born someone came in to the birthing suite and told T that either he or his mother had to leave. Only one could stay. I hadn’t even been moved to my room yet! T politely reminded her that his mother couldn’t leave without him driving her and he wasn’t leaving.
·        The type of care I received was different in that there were two nurses that attended me. One was for me and the other for baby R.
Since then life has been busy and all contained in Saudi! We’ve had both Grandmothers come and go. Another friend from Australia who also lives in our compound has given birth. T now works away for the majority of the week. These two kids of ours keep me on my toes. We are lucky to have some wonderful friends in the compound who are there if we need anything which we really appreciate. So that’s where we are at! Let’s hope I get this posted before another month passes (I’m writing this in Word and the time taken to post onto the blog might be more than my two allow me).
The next post will probably be detailing our adventures at home.
Ahhh, home, the land of all the food and drink I can’t have here. I’m sure I’ll come back the side of a house! Oh well, life’s too short not to enjoy everything home has to offer. In three and a half weeks we take off and head home for 6 weeks for the kids and I. T is only home for 2. Then it’s off to Turkey with my Mum and Dad. I’m very much looking forward to it.


 The setting of our Austrian adventure.

Our hotel.

A attacking the slopes.

Seeing the sights of Salzburg.

Prague

More Prague

Beautiful Prague

No comments:

Post a Comment